Follow me @KraftyKellzster

Follow me on Instagram: @KraftyKellzster

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

DIY: Lilly Pulitzer First Impressions Canvas

So between co-oping full time this whole summer and trying to enjoy what little amount of summer I have, I decided to paint my own Lilly Pulitzer inspired canvas for my new Condo off of campus!

First. let's talk about the materials you will be needing.  Of course you can buy whatever size canvas you want and different shades of pink, blue and green. I bought all of my materials from JoAnn's and I will try my best to estimate the total cost. I will also list the specific color and brand of acrylic paint that I purchased.  Alternatively, you can purchase items from Amazon if you do no have a JoAnn's by you!  I'm a big fan of Amazon and you can sign-up for a free Prime trial which gets you free 2-day shipping!

Join Amazon Prime - Watch Over 40,000 Movies






Materials Needed:

JoAnn's
- 12" x 12" Canvas: $6
-Thick, medium, thin paint brushes: $2
-Color palette: $0.80
-Americana White Wash Acrylic Paint: $0.83
-Americana Baby Pink Acrylic Paint: $0.83
-Americana Bubblegum Pink Acrylic Paint: $0.83
-Americana Royal Fuchsia Acrylic Paint: $0.83
-Americana Citron Green Acrylic Paint: $0.83
-Americana Festive Green Acrylic Paint: $0.83
-Delta Creative Turquoise Acrylic Paint: $0.83

Total: $14.61

Amazon
-12" x 12" Canas: $8.33
-11-Piece Brushes and Palette $7.30
-34 Color Pack Acrylic Paint $16.00

Total: $31.63
(As you can see Amazon is a bit more expensive, but you end up with more brushes and colors!)


Now let's get started on the hard part! 

STEP ONE: The first thing I did was take a pencil and very lightly draw the outline of the flowers and leaves. This merely served as a guide for the placement of my flowers.  The acrylic paint is very thick and therefore easily covers up any stray pencil lines.

STEP TWO: Take the lightest color pink with a large brush and create the base of the flower.  Simply make arch shapes throughout the flower and spread them around.

STEP THREE: Take the medium pink with a medium brush and do the same as the light pink, but try to fill in more of the white gaps.  Feel free to go over the light pink to add some texture.

STEP FOUR: Take the dark pink also with a medium brush and follow the same technique used in step three.  Don't worry about covering every bit of white, you're going to paint white over it to add white strokes like in the print itself.

STEP FIVE: Take the lighter shade of green with the smallest brush and fill in the leaves.

STEP SIX: Adding texture and shading, take the dark green with the small brush and touch up all of the leaves. If you look closely at the actual print, some leaves only have the lighter green, so I left some leaves without the shading.

By now, your painting should look something like mine to the left (Or maybe even better!) I am a Chemical Engineering major after all...by no means am I a true artist. The last time I remember taking an art class goes all the way back to 7th grade! WOW, just about 7 years ago...my how time flies by!

STEP SEVEN: Using the turquoise paint and a small brush to fill in all the white gaps to color in the background.  If you want to use a medium brush to get the large gaps and then touch up the edges with a small brush that is fine.  I didn't stress too much if I accidentally covered the edge of a flower or leaf because we will touch up the flowers and leaves after the blue background is complete.

STEP EIGHT: Touch up any parts of the flower and leaves that were messed up in the process of painting in the background.

STEP NINE: Take a medium sized brush and where there are white spots left on the flower, cover it up with the white paint to make our painting more like the First Impressions print.

And VoilĂ ! Your very own hand-painted Lilly Pulitzer Canvas :)

Please leave me a comment below letting me know how I did on my very first tutorial! If you give this a try, take a picture of your work and tag me on Instragram--> @KraftyKellzster.




15 comments:

  1. Nice first crafting post and looks great! Don't forget that you can always use coupons to help keep your supply costs down. I'm pretty sure JoAnn's takes competitive coupons and I'm always seeing 40% off Michael's coupons in the paper and/or their website.

    PS: Cute intro post pic, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks awesome and you make it easy to follow! I may have found a use for all those acrylic paints I have gathered...Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, well thank you so much! I tried being as specific as possible. I have been so busy with college starting back up, but I will eventually post DIYs for other Lilly Pulitzer prints to paint with acrylic paint!

      Delete
  3. This is FABULOUS!!! and your tutorial is phenomenal!! I may try this for my bedroom, as I love this print and the colors are gorgeous!!! thanks for sharing!I can't believe you don't have a htousand more comments on your awesome tutorial, this is pinned all over Pinterest.... this is the first tutorial like this that I have seen, VERY CREATIVE!! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you so much for reading my tutorial! That really means a lot :)

      When I first googled DIYs for how to paint Lilly Pulitzer patterns, I couldn't find it ANYWHERE so I decided to create my own. I haven't had much time to do more tutorials recently, but I hope to have more time since Thanksgiving and Christmas break are coming up. Keep an eye out for it and if you have any DIY ideas, feel free to email me and I will do my best to do a tutorial!

      Delete
  4. This is amazing!!! I going to definitely make this for my apartment!! Would you be able to make a tutorial for the Sunkissed print or Let's Cha-Cha?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you find this helpefuL! I have been pretty pre-occupied with classes this summer, however, I will try me best to do another Lilly Pulitzer pattern tutorial in the near future :)

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad you find my tutorial helpful! :) I will definitely try to do another Lilly Pulitzer pattern tutorial in the near future, however, I am taking a full load of 17 credit hours this summer semester so finding time is difficult!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for doing this! My sister in law loves Lilly so I painted this for her today- it turned out great. Your color suggestions and step by step directions were perfect- thank you so much for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I was able to help you out! I love hearing about others trying out my tutorial :) It really encourages me to do more. Have a great day!

      Delete
  6. Do you have any suggestions or tips for drawing the flower outlines? I would love to try this, but I am really bad at drawing haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly just draw a bunch of arches to form a the outline of the flower so I know where to position my flowers. The beauty of acrylic paint is it paints right over any stray pencil lines. My advice would be to relax and just have fun as you paint it!

      If you wanted, you could really just draw a circle instead of trying to actually sketch the flower to position the flowers :)

      Please let me know if you need anything else or have any other questions!

      Delete
  7. I just followed your tutorial and painted this for my baby girl due in September on a 20x20 canvas. I altered the colors a bit to match her nursery colors (worked coral into the pinks in the flowers and chose a lighter teal color for the background) and it came out great! I did find that the baby pink color I used first on the flowers had trouble covering up the light pencil marks without multiple coats though.

    Thanks for the awesome tutorial! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this tutorial, will definitely try it out

    http://monacristo.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just used this tutorial. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete