Follow me @KraftyKellzster

Follow me on Instagram: @KraftyKellzster

Sunday, February 7, 2016

DIY: Hand Painted Inspirational Quote

Hi there! Long time no see! I apologize for the lack of posts in the past year and a half, I have been so caught up in other things that I haven't been able to write my blogs.  Fortunately, I am graduating from college in a few months and once I start my full-time job, I think I'll have plenty of time to start blogging more after work!  With graduation around the corner, I have been apartment hunting in the Cincy area which got me looking at Pinterest for home decor.

There are so many adorable inspiration quotes at stores like Hobby Lobby, but it's so hard to get myself to pay more than $10 for something I can easily re-create for much less.  I was stumbling for existing DIY's on Pinterest one day and came across THIS perfect quote.  This tutorial uses a gold leaf pen, but I decided to use paint.



Here are the supplies you will need:
- A 12" x 12" canvas
- Black acrylic paint
- Gold acrylic paint
- A thin paint brush
- A larger paint brush
- A pencil
- A ruler


First, I took a ruler and measured the center of the canvas by going 5 inches down and 4 inches across.  I marked this spot with a pencil.  Then I took painter's tape to use as a straight-edge guideline for writing the words.  Next, I sketched the quote on the canvas very lightly as shown below and began to paint over the pencil lines.  



After the quote was finished, I took my gold paint and began to add polka dots sporadically throughout the entire canvas.  The type of acrylic paint that I used (I believe it was Artist's Loft from JoAnn's) was very thick and need two layers for each spot.  This part takes the longest but try to have some fun with it! It's tedious, but it really makes the canvas POP.  Don't forget to put the spots on the edges of the canvas!  





And that's it! Easy peasy lemon squeeze! Don't you love easy tutorials like this? :)





 Please feel free to leave any questions or comment below.  This was a relatively simple and quick tutorial so let me know if you are confused about any steps that I may have skipped!

Thanks,
Kelly :)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on Graduation.
    This tutorial was great, just like the others. I appreciate the detailed materials required and cost information. Your engineer side is showing there.
    Please keep up the great work. MWButler

    ReplyDelete